We wanted to take a few moments and update you as to how the pandemic has affected shipping times for furniture and mattresses. There are four main issues going on:
- In March 2020, many businesses like our own were asked to temporarily close to help stop the spread of COVID-19. It was important to us to keep our staff and customers safe. In addition to local businesses, many vendors and suppliers from around the world were also required to close. This halted all production of furniture, mattresses, and more. As businesses have reopened, our vendors have had to reconfigure their production lines to comply with required social distancing rules. The result has been slower production of the beautiful furniture we sell.
- The demand for new furniture has skyrocketed. As everyone spends more time at home, they realize it is time for a new sofa or bedroom set, or those who are making the transition to working from home are now in need of furniture for their home office. The factories and freight lines are doing their best to keep up with the high demand while also following the required safety guidelines.
- Overseas shipping companies halted many shipments in March when everything shut down, and have not returned them all to service. This has limited the availability of containers to load and ship product.
- Mattress companies use the same material as the N95 mask to wrap their coils. Since the supplies of this material are being diverted to produce masks, it is taking longer for mattresses to be produced.
These scenarios in addition to others have set up the perfect storm regarding ordering products. Order times for merchandise are taking double or even triple the amount of time than normal.
Why do we bring this to your attention? Groen’s Furniture tries to offer the best customer service out there, and we want you to know up front that we are doing everything we can to get product as fast as possible.
We are not alone in this. All furniture stores are suffering the same dilemma, along with mattress stores, clothing stores, electronic stores, automobile dealers, and several other businesses in various industries.
Here are our suggestions:
- Plan ahead. Start considering your needs for the holidays and beyond.
- Place your orders now so we can reserve your place in the production line with our vendors. Waiting will only extend the delay.
- Have patience and understanding. We are doing what we can to get product delivered as quickly as possible.
- Please remember, shipping times are an estimate and often change.
- Once you order, reach out to your sales associate for updates. While we cannot always speed up the process, we can provide updates.
- We understand you may be tempted to cancel your order due to the length of time it is taking to receive but, please, remember that cancelling will only increase your waiting time if you change your mind in the future.
Thank you for your understanding and support during this challenging time. We are all in this together.
The Groen Team